Building Inspections FAQs

by prpete | September 14, 2014 4:46 pm

Frequently asked questions:

Can the homeowner do their own work?
The homeowner can do their own building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical. You will need to contact the state electrical inspector for a permit for the electrical portion of work. Also, state law requires that the property be the homeowner’s primary residence for at least twelve months after completion of work.

What is the footer depth for a foundation?
12” below undisturbed soil.

What is the frost depth in Mancos?
The frost depth is 30”.

What is the snow load in Mancos?
The snow load for roofs is 50 per square foot.

How can I get a permit application?
Applications are available at town hall or can be downloaded from the town website.

How do I schedule an inspection?
Call town hall (533-7725) 24 hrs prior with your name, permit number and address to the inspection to schedule.

Where can I find out about the Building Codes?
The Town of Mancos follows the 2006 International Building Code (IBC). A copy is available at town hall for your review. Codes can also be viewed online by searching “IBC 2006”

Can someone other than the homeowner obtain the permit?
If you are using a contractor, they should obtain the permit as part of the project agreement. The permit holder is the party responsible for the work, and is responsible for scheduling inspections and complying with the pertinent codes.

How long is the permit valid?
The permit remains valid for as long as work is proceeding and an inspection has been performed within the last six months.

When is a building permit required?
Application for a permit is made to the building inspector and a permit shall be obtained prior to commencing any work on any of the following: construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, conversion, or demolition of a building, part of a building or structure. Note that even when a building permit is not required, review for land use (setbacks, lot coverage, etc.) shall be completed by the Planning and Zoning Administrator prior to construction. For information on what type of application is required, see What Application Do I Need?

A building permit is required for the following (for example):

A building permit is not required for the following (for example):

Source URL: